Dealing with the Past in My Society
Materials: Flipchart paper, markers
The participants split into groups based on the countries they come from. Their task is to prepare a presentation on the state of dealing with the past (DwP) in their society by answering the following questions where relevant:
– Summarise the dominant narrative about the recent war(s) in five sentences.
– What is your attitude towards the dominant narrative?
– What is the purpose of dealing with the past in your society?
– What are the outcomes of that process?
– Who “drives” the process (who takes the initiative)?
– Who opposes the process? Why?
– What are the major DwP mechanisms and significant developments?
– What was painful for society in the process?
– Is there a link between DwP and reconciliation? (Who should reconcile with whom?)
– In your opinion, what is missing in DwP?
– What could others learn from how your society deals with the past?
This is followed by presentations in the plenary and questions for clarification.